3.12.2010

potatoes on pizza



ever since we moved to the big SLC, i feel like my life has never really gotten back into the norm...or i just have not adjusted to this new norm...probably the latter. when chris and i first got married, i would fix dinner (usually a brand new recipe) every. single. night. this would probably explain why both he and i gained a combine total of 30 pounds during that first year. i love love love to cook and bake and fiddle around in the kitchen. and i've been so lackluster as of late that i decided to make a menu and start cooking again. for reals this time. i found a neato one-week menu planner with a grocery list online and i printed two copies. i spent a few hours (this is my problem....i waste SO much time searching for good recipes) and filled in both spreadsheets and made my grocery list. i made a huge trip to sam's club, and the grocery store. we've had something yummy to eat everynight...at least almost every night...for the past two weeks. and i'm happy to say i was relatively healthy too! i used a couple recipes from cooking light and concentrated a lot on having at least one green side dish and a fruit side dish. one of the dishes i was a little bit nervous about--a goat cheese, thyme, and potato pizza. holy cannoli was it ever good. {chris put a big boo on it though, he HATES goat cheese apparently. oops} it was fun because i used two ingredients i've never cooked with before: goat cheese (chevre) and fingerling potatoes (purple ones!). so if you like goat cheese or are experimental and brave in any way. try this recipe. you can thank me later.

red onion, potato, and goat cheese pizza

7 oz fingerling potatoes {i bought a mixed variety, but yukon gold and purple were best}

1 tsp olive oil

1 medium red onion thinly sliced

1 can refrigerated pizza crust dough

2 TBS cornmeal

4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese sliced)

3 oz crumbled goat cheese

1 garlic clove minced

1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves

place potatoes in a sauce pan and boil for 10 minutes or until just tender. cut cooled potatoes into 1/4-inch slices. heat olive oil in a large skillet. add onion to pan and saute until tender. roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle. sprinkle cornmeal over a large baking sheet and place dough on top. drizzle crust with a little olive oil. spread mozzarella over dough and arrange onion and potatoes over cheese. top evenly with crumbled goat cheese and garlic. bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until browned. sprinkle with thyme right out of the oven.

7 comments:

MJ said...

Staci, you amaze me. I just love hearing that there are people out there who will cook a different meal every singe night, especially meals that include goat cheese. I wouldn't even know where to buy that stuff. You're my hero.

ms said...

Ok, we need to do a recipe swap. I am a cooker/baker/kitchen-fiddler extraordinaire as well - but I'm in a funk and need to try some new stuff. Your pizza will be on the list, it sounds yummy - Mike LOVES potato on pizza, so I'm sure he'll love it. However, I am positive I won't be able to find goat cheese in the grocery store in San Juan... I'll either have to improvise or travel out of town to find some.

mckenzie said...

hmmmmmm. I'm in! looks awesome. Thanks for sharing. We'll see if Ryan likes it. ;)

Quinn, Alexis, Jayden, and Owen Brown said...

oh i would absolutely love to try this recipe...but unfortunately quinn hates the fromage de chevre also.

kaitlyn said...

i flippin love goat cheese. usually until i think of pygmy goats and that kind of does it in for me.

try this:

a salad with whatever you like on it. i use:

the artisan lettuce from costco
cucumbers
romas
green onions

then add a little bit of chicken (or don't, either way is fine)

1 oz of goat cheese and marie's raspberry vinaigrette dressing. every time i eat it i want to cry. it is a beautiful medley of flavors. for real. do it.

ps a great cooking lighter magazine that they have at costco right now is: america's test kitchen cook's illustrated top recipes for 2010. they have some pretty amazing stuff in there, all light, but every recipe i have ever made out of there tastes amazing. do it!

C, J, T, and M said...

You should join our meals parties. Sometimes a group of us get together, make a bunch of meals and trade them. We all end up with a ton of meals to take home that are totally freezer compatible. COnsider yourself invited. I had no idea you loved the kitchen so much! (I knew I liked you for a reason!) :)

ms said...

Stabi,
This is mike and I normally don't look at blogs but I saw yours up on my computer. I've been reading for a while and cracking up. you are pretty funny and chris is pretty funny with his applesauce (whatever he was calling it). After reading your posts I have realized blogs aren't completely stupid (yours is pretty awesome) Send my love to Chris. I hope all is going well.

Mike