2.23.2009

oscars

i love seeing all the beautiful people in their beautiful dresses with beautiful jewelry,hair and makeup. i love seeing clips from the movies i've enjoyed or have yet to enjoy from the past year. i've always loved the academy awards. and i enjoy watching them. i had a pretty enjoyable time watching the academy awards last night. i had an enjoyable time, that is, until this man got up to accept his oscar for best actor in the film MILK:

he told me that my posterity would be absolutely ashamed of me for voting against gay marriage. he said:


"And finally, for those, two last finallies, for those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support. We've got to have equal rights for everyone. And there are, and there are, these last two things. I'm very, very proud to live in a country that is willing to elect an elegant man president and a country who, for all its toughness, creates courageous artists"
i'm not usually one to be super offended or get heated over political stuff, but this one totally put a nasty taste in my mouth. to sean penn: i say accept your award for a job well done and get off your soap box. the podium at the academy awards is not the place to enlighten the world with your political views, it's a place to celebrate awesome acheivements and jobs well done. the. end.

5 comments:

Marci said...

I absolutely agree with you. I love The Academy Awards too, but I am so sick of celebrities and their opinions. I was immediately bugged by him as soon as he started talking last night. And I was equally bugged that Sean Penn didn't say any thanks at all to his wife. He has to be such a treat to be married to - she at least deserved a thank you. Annoying! And I am sure that your posterity will be proud of you and what you stand for. I'm sure of it.

kaitlyn said...

ditto on celebrities and their opinions. it makes me not enjoy and be entertained as easily by their movies/songs whatever. i really don't know why they think their celebrity status qualifies them to comment on anything and everything and preach to the rest of us "regular" folk. :) i didn't watch the oscars, but i like to watch the pre-show and then later the fashion police on E or whatever.

ms said...

What a pecker...don't mind my choice of words. He is super liberal and I HATE that I love his movies so much...

Alisha Stamper said...

wow. I didn't watch them at all, and now am I not only glad I didn't watch, but I'm monstrously annoyed.

The Horners said...

Amen sister! I hate when they do things like this. It was incredibly offensive. I couldn't agree more. Well done.