9.06.2011

day twenty-nine

day twenty-nine {a person you love}

if i were going to take the obvious route, i'd write another post about the handsome hubby or my cute son. but i'm going to take the not so obvious route i guess and tell you about my great grandma brinkerhoff...aka GB.

i fondly remember my grandma GB. there were lots of funny things she always did. she swore a lot and it always took her all day to drink a cup of coffee. she always had a tissue tucked under her sweater and she had the most pristine black curled hairdo i have ever seen. she was always so kind and loving to all of us kids, even when we constantly played in her flour and sugar drawers in the kitchen (yes, she had a DRAWER for flour and sugar) when we were at her house for memorial day. she often came to visit us in albuquerque for weeks at a time and we would sit and watch jeopardy together. i loved her waffles with homemade maple syrup and i still dream about her donuts. she really cared about our family and i loved the way she watched over my mom.

for years and years, GB had an eating disorder that went undetected. it destroyed her heart and ultimately took her life. she died when i was pretty young, i wasn't more than 12 or 13. my mom was pretty devastated as he life went by. watching her relationship with GB has been a great example to me of how important grandparents are in our life. i love GB and i'm grateful that she and my mom had a lasting and strong relationship. i only hope to have such with my two awesome grandmas.

{the picture above is GB and my little sister McKenzie on her blessing day, 15 years ago}


1 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for reminding me of great, fun memories. She really was an amazing great grandma. I love and miss my GB!